Home

 The history of the Jews of Gliwice spans 300 years.  It is part of the history of persecution,  tolerance, emancipation and assimilation of the Jews of Austria, Prussia, Germany and Polish Silesia. In that time, Jews settled in Gliwice, developed their community, became integrated into civil society and contributed to the  development of the region.

 

It is also the history of the Holocaust in 1933-45 and of the political and social upheavals that followed. It is the history of names like Troplowitz, Lubowski, Caro, Friedlander, Kleczewski, Stein, Frankfurter, Silbergleit, Weichmann, Fleischer, Kochmann, Lustig, Kohn, Bernheim and many others who visibly influenced the city’s development.

 



Beginning and development PDF Print E-mail
Although the Jewish community never made up more than 20% of the population of Gliwice, it played a significant role in the life and activities of Gliwice.
Read more...
 
The Synagogue in Gliwice PDF Print E-mail

A Synagogue  is where Jews gather to pray, read from the Torah (the first 5 books of the Bible), study, and conduct other community activities. It is not known when the Jewish community in Gliwice first came into being formally, but undoubtedly it had established itself in the second half of the 18th century. Initially religious services were held in private houses but in the first years of the 19th century there were efforts made to obtain a building permit for the construction of a prayer house.

Read more...
 
Old Cemetery (at the present Na Piasku Street) PDF Print E-mail

 

A public ruling issued by Prussian authorities in 1814 obliged Jewish communities to bury their dead at Jewish cemetery located within a close distance to their places of residence—just as Jewish law encouraged. Previously, Gliwice’s Jews had used the cemeteries in Mikołów and Wielowieś. The first Jewish cemetery, called the Old Cemetery, was dedicated in the year 1815 at the present Na Piasku Street. 

Read more...
 
New Cemetery (At Poniatowskiego Street) PDF Print E-mail

 

When the ‘Old Cemetery’ had no more room to expand, a much larger one was established in Gliwice’s “Zatorze” district.

Read more...
 
The 20th century PDF Print E-mail

 

By the late 19th century, the Jews of Gliwice had become quite assimilated. They perceived themselves as German citizens, actively participating in the political, economic and cultural development of Gliwice as well as the Prussian and German state.

Read more...
 
Chronology PDF Print E-mail
  • 1698 – first written evidence of a Jewish presence in Gliwice;
  • 1811-1812 – erection of the first synagogue;
  • 1812 – The Emancipation Edict granting citizenship  to the Jews of Prussia;
  • 1815 – first Jewish cemetery (presently Na Piasku Street);
Read more...
 
View more PDF Print E-mail

 

 

 


 
053.JPG

„Zikaron-Memory”
Association
for the Jewish
Heritage of Gliwice

 

44-100 Gliwice
Zwyciestwa St 1/1
tel. +48 696 395 467

e-mail: zikaron.gliwice@gmail.com

 

KRS 0000292840

NIP:  631-254-61-72

IBAN: PL 07194010763041727400000000
SWIFT: LUBWPLPR