Chronology Print
  • 1698 – first written evidence of a Jewish presence in Gliwice;
  • 1811-1812 – erection of the first synagogue;
  • 1812 – The Emancipation Edict granting citizenship  to the Jews of Prussia;
  • 1815 – first Jewish cemetery (presently Na Piasku Street);
  • 1848 – Salomon Troplowitz, a wine merchant, becomes the first Jewish member of the City Council of Gliwice;
  • 1858 – the number of the Jews living in Gliwice reaches 1,880 – 18,8% of the population;
  • 1859-1861 – erection of a new synagogue building at Wilhelmsplatz (presently Inwalidów Sqare) designed by Salomon Lubowski and Louis Troplowitz;
  • 1900-1901 – erection of Holy Family Church funded by the Huldschinsky family;
  • 1902-1903 – establishment of the second cemetery (presently Poniatowska Street) and the pre-burial hall designed by the Viennese architect Max Fleischer;
  • 1911 – expansion of the synagogue;
  • 1924-1926 – construction of the Jewish old age home (now housing the central police stationat Kościelna Street);
  • 1930 – unveiling of the monument commemorating Jewish World War I dead from Gliwice;
  • 1933 – Hitler’s assumption of power in Germany; the“Bernheim petition” results in League of Nations protection of the rights of the Jews of Upper Silesia’s protected region until mid-1937;
  • 1933-1941  -- 1,200 of Gliwice’s Jews emigrate to America, Africa,  other European countries, Palestine and the Far East;
  • 1938 – “Kristallnacht” (November 9-10): destruction of the synagogue and numerous of Jewish owned shops; Jewish men are arrested and taken to the camp in Buchenwald and Dachau;
  • 1942 – 1943 – deportation of the Jews of Gliwice to the Auschwitz–Birkenau concentration camp;
  • 1944 – January 1945 – four sub-camps of the Auschwitz–Birkenau concentration camp operate in Gliwice, employing with several thousand prisoners from all over Europe;
  • January 1945 – Gliwice is the end of one of two major evacuation routes that the prisoners of Auschwitz were forced to take (the “death march”);
  • 1945 – immigration of the Jews from the eastern and central parts of Poland; reestablishing the Jewish community;
  • 1967-1968 – most of Poland’s Jews, including most of those in Gliwice, emigrate to European countries and Israel;
  • 2003 – unveiling of a plague commemorating the synagogue initiated by the pre-war Jewish community in Gliwice and the Polish-based Forum for Dialogue Among Nations Foundation;
  • 2005 – “The Jews of Gliwice” exhibition with published catalogue and an international conference in the Gliwice Museum;
  • 2006 – conference report, “The Jews of Gliwice”, published;
  • 2008 – „Zikaron-Memory” Association for the Jewish Heritage of Gliwice is established;
  • 2008 – the burial hall at the Poniatowskiego Street Cemetery is taken over by the City of Gliwice, and renovations begin.